SPPOT’s 7 week Foundation Couse features a full 90-minute induction session for you and a great enrichment and training session to keep your puppy engaged & having fun.
The Induction session is an hour and a half of highly qualified and experienced advice, discussion, and practical demonstrations, covering the following:
- Correct socialisation & habituation, where the emphasis is on enabling your puppy to be calm around new people, dogs and other animals, being careful not to overwhelm or overstimulate your puppy in the process.
- Continuing or improving social skills for your older puppy or rescue dog.
- Diet and exercise: helping you choose what, when and how to feed your puppy or dog for long term health and wellbeing.
- Housetraining & crate training: where to toilet and learning how to be alone and self-settle & play to avoid separation anxiety.
- Play-biting & chewing: teach your puppy or dog what they can chew and what they can’t, including bite-inhibition through managing play-biting.
- Travelling with your dog: steps to teaching a puppy to enjoy car travel and public transport or helping older dogs who dislike the car.
- Health care & legal aspects: your responsibilities as a dog owner legally, including health and wellbeing.
- Canine learning – how dogs learn, how to teach them what you do want and how to stop the behaviour you don’t want, using only humane methods that will enable you to raise a happy, healthy, well-behaved dog.
With games and fun for your puppy or dog including enrichment ideas you can use at home, all supervised by our amazing Volunteers while you relax and discuss your individual puppy questions with our Dog Trainer.