SPPOT’s 7 week Foundation Couse features a 90-minute Individual Induction Session of highly qualified and experienced bespoke advice, discussion and practical demonstrations, based on your puppy or young dog’s needs.
The session covers the following:
- Correct socialisation & habituation, where the emphasis is on enabling your puppy to be calm around new people, dogs and other animals, being careful not to overwhelm or overstimulate your puppy in the process.
- Continuing or improving social skills for your older puppy or rescue dog.
- Diet and exercise: helping you choose what, when and how to feed your puppy or dog for long term health and wellbeing.
- Housetraining & crate training: where to toilet and learning how to be alone and self-settle & play to avoid separation anxiety.
- Play-biting & chewing: teach your puppy or dog what they can chew and what they can’t, including bite-inhibition through managing play-biting.
- Travelling with your dog: steps to teaching a puppy to enjoy car travel and public transport and helping older dogs who dislike the car.
- Health care & legal aspects: your responsibilities as a dog owner legally, including health and wellbeing.
- Canine learning – how dogs learn, how to teach them what you do want and how to stop the behaviour you don’t want, using only humane methods that will enable you to raise a happy, healthy, well-behaved dog.
The induction and six practical training sessions that follow are all held at SPPOT Accredited Canine Education Services, Furzy Park, Haverfordwest, SA61 1HT